Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Bring on the Rain

Just when I thought I wouldn't be able to go camping before the end of summer, Brother Damon aka Freestyle Fisherman and I were able go on a three day camping trip!

Monday, 8/21

We got to our campsite, quickly set up, and started fishing right away! The fish were biting, so we couldn't stop until an hour after sunset :-)  Thus, dinner began at 10:30 PM.  But it was well worth the wait!  Brother Freestyle is such a great cook!  I have not had a camping dinner this good in all my years of camping!

Lots of stuff for to bring :-)

At Shot Rock Vista Point, saw a good design for a canoe.

I thought I saw a strange looking hummingbird. Do you see it?

A keeper at 7 PM.

Clam baked dinner!  Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Tuesday, 8/22

What else is a brother to do when camping?  Fished again at Dark Thirty!  Caught more keepers by 7 AM.  Went back to camp for breakfast, which consisted of coffee, oatmeal, and cinnamon rolls which were baked in a Dutch oven! Very delicious, but I think my float tube sunk into the lake a bit more after breakfast.

Nabbed these by 7 AM.

We went float tubing before the storm rolled in.  I used the same setup that I use for steelies in the American River!  It worked for trout too!  Caught and released two, while Freestyle caught one on the Z and released it also.

Awesome setup.  Make a note of it.

Freestyle went tubing for four hours!
JU on the water for 2.5 hours.

We decided to eat an early dinner since a storm was brewing.  We cooked the trout that we caught.  And since the frying pan was 10 inches, we had to cut off the heads and tails of the trout to make them all fit.  What a great problem to have!!!
10-inch frying pan.
Then the rain came!!!  It poured and poured.  We ate and watched the rain until we couldn't take it any longer.  The sun was going to set soon and darkness was approaching.  We decided to brave the rain and fish just once more before it got dark.  What a great blessing!!!  While it rained, the bites were super duper hot!!!  At one point, we got a triple take down.  Since I have a two poles license, I had to run back and forth between my poles.  Another time, I had to clamp one pole with my knees, while using my hands to land the fish on my other pole!  Again, what a great problem to have!!!
When will the rain stop?

Thank God the rain didn't stop :-)

Today, Wednesday, 8/23

We fished again from 6 AM to 7 AM, with only one nibble.  The fishing was slow, so I went back to camp to make coffee.  Freestyle came to camp at around 7:30 AM and told me that after I left, a guy showed up in the same spot that I was fishing and landed a nice trout on the first cast!  What!  That can't be right!  And... he used some strange setup.  If you know me, you know that I would lose sleep wondering about what this strange setup could be! So I went to meet the man.

First, a woman dropped him off with an electric cart.  Then she came back with his chair!  He told her to pick him up after 3 hours of fishing :-)  I am not going to write more and get Brother Freestyle and myself in the dog pound :-)

Super duper nice dude, a three time purple heart recipient for his services in the 'Nam.  When I came by, he already had one on the stringer.  As I was talking with him, he caught and released another five within five minutes!!!!!  Thanks be to God, he took a liking to JU and started to share his knowledge and setup.  For what it's worth and for Brother Freestyle's and my reference, here are pictures of his setup.
Strangest setup for trout ever!  But it works!!!
Double take!?!?  Wait, are those trout?

The trip went by way too fast.  God is good!!!
There's JU!
Reserved the entire group site.

Video of Brother Freestyle Fisherman!

God is good!

JU signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment