Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Bass, Bass, Bass, Baby...

I was treated to another fantastic fishing trip with Grandmaster Fisherman (GFM) at Folsom Lake today.  We fished from 9 AM to 11:30 AM and were rewarded with two limits!  I caught my personal best: 3 lb. 2 oz. bass!  That was not my only personal best...  I also caught THREE bass on a rubber worm.  Those of you who have been following my blog know that in all my previous trips with GMF, I only managed ONE bass on a rubber worm per trip!  I believe I finally got the setting the hook down while using the rubber worm.

The techniques we used for bass at Folsom Lake from the boat were extremely easy!  We used two different ways to trick the bass into taking our baits.

Technique ONE (Using Live Minnows):

I use a very super light (Shakespeare Micro Series Spinning Reel and Fishing Rod Combo: One piece, 4'6" Ultra Light!!!) fishing rod and reel combo that I purchased on sale at Walmart for $8 bucks!!!  It comes spooled with 4 pound test line, which at GMF's instructions, I swapped the line out with a fresh 6 pound test line for this season.  I tied an Eagle Claw No. 8 Kahle hook directly to the main line.  About 24 inches up, I put a bullet weight #5 reusable split shot sinker.  Hook on a live large minnow ($8.99 per dozen at your local bait shop) and troll around until you get a bite....  Then hold on to the fishing pole.

Technique TWO (Using Roboworm):

For this trip, I used 4 1/2" Roboworm Straight Tail Desert Craw:


For this technique, I am using a heavier rod and reel.  According to GMF, the ideal rod would be a 6 foot 6 inch one piece rod; the reel should be a 2500 or 3000 series; the line should be 8 pound test; and the hook should be a Size 1 Gamakatsu EWG Worm Hook.  However, I used a Size 1, Bass Pro Shops XPS SuperLock Hook.  About 24 inches up, I put TWO #5 split shot sinkers versus ONE while using live minnows.  This technique boated three bass for me this time, including my personal best!  I have been using GMF's rod and reel.  This time I got one on GMF's rod.  The other two I got on a rod made by my brother.  I used a Quantum Optix 10Sz Spinning Reel.  It was way too small.  For the next trip, I plan on using a Trait Crist Light Finesse 6 foot 6 inch Spinning Combo Rod and Reel.  Yes, I got one on sale at Walmart for $13!!!  I spooled the reel with 8 pound test!  I am ready to go....



Personal best, caught on a roboworm: 3# 2oz.


Grandmaster Fisherman

Limit for the day!
Video link:



Until next time....  Peace out.

-JU

No comments:

Post a Comment