Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Fishing with da PRO!!!

Got a text from da PRO:  "Hey John, can you go fishing?"

Does a hungry infant wants his mama's milk?  Can a kid go to sleep before Christmas, knowing that there's a boat load of toys under the Christmas tree?  😂😂😂

"Meet me out there at 6:15 AM," said da PRO.

Dude, I was out there at 5:30 AM!!!  Believe it or not, just as I arrived, there was a boat trailer being pulled out of the water.  This meant that there was already a boat in the water!

PRO told me that I will be fishing with another friend of his.  Any friend of PRO is a friend of mine.  I met up with this new fisherman and told him that anyone fishing with JU has to have a nickname.  So now I dubbed him: Knightwing Fisherman.  He reminds me of one of my Knight brothers.

Any how, we got in the water and was approaching one of our favorite honey holes in the American River and there were FIVE bank fishermen working the shore with hardware (most likely, Flying C's).  Avoiding them and trolling with a drift boat purely on human power is an amazing feat to witness.  PRO, you da man!!!

First pass, 6:50 AM, nothing, although we saw fishing rolling all over the place.  We were about to go downstream to the next honey hole, but PRO decided to give it another go; this time, pulling plugs through the same waters, except going against the current or going upstream.

Past the three bank fishermen we went, when PRO said "John, did you see that?"

"See what? I was checking to see if my GoPro was on."

As I looked up, the fishing pole went BENDO!!!  Oh yeah, baby, it was fish on!  I believed it was the early morning adrenaline kicking in, because I set the hook HARD!  The ensuring fight was fantastic and I was nervous that we would loose the fish by the boat.  PRO told me to take my time with the fish.  But the fish started charging the boat!  I had to crank fast to keep pressure on the fish.  We had a little technical difficulty with the net when the fish was ready to be boated.  The net got tangled with the metal oarlock.  So the fishing was on the outside under the net!  PRO then flipped the net around to scoop up the fish just as the line broke off....  The fish was safely netted!!!  Hurray!  She was an awesome 35-inch, 18 pound, wild fish.  And it was only around 7:20 AM.





Since we landed the fish passed the first three fishermen, but before the fourth and fifth fishermen, we were in the middle of a run.  We continued onward upstream trolling to finish the run.  At the end of the run, PRO commanded: "Reel 'em up boys."  This is when we reeled in the plugs and get ready to troll back downstream.  PRO had always told us that there's a chance of 1 in 50 for hooking a fish on the reel in.  Guess what?  It was JU's day.  On the reel in, I hooked another fish!!!  After a short fight, I looked down the fishing line and saw Knightwing's plug wrapped around it, so I assumed it was just our plugs crossed.  I released the pressure on my line, but I still felt the pull!!!  Then, it was determined that I got a fish on AND a line cross.  This is hilarious to watch the confusion in the video.  PRO rushed up to the bow and grabbed Knightwing's plug and cut it off.  That's why he's PRO!!!  He was so smooth and calm in resolving the line cross problem.  What line cross problem?  Then I was free to try and land the fish.  And once again, PRO netted the fish.  It was a bright 25-inch, 6 pound, wild Jack!  It was not even 7:45 AM yet!






With great success earlier on like that, I thought for sure we would all be limited out before noon.  However, that was not the case.  PRO worked hard at the oars, and we trolled back and forth all the way until noon.  We got more than half a dozen take-downs, but nothing stuck.  We ended up with the two fish for the day.

What a blessed day!!!!!

Peace out,
-JU


No comments:

Post a Comment