Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Salmon Fishing Log: 2016

HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!!!

As I mentioned previously, you gotta enjoy fishing NOT catching, to go where I fish....  With that being said, I am tremendously successful and blessed for the 2016 season:

2016: Note, 1008 MILES for six salmon.

2015: Note, 1326 MILES for three salmon.

Wednesday, 11/23 - Fished for 2 hours

Today the current is very fast and the water is very muddy!  I tried out eight different lures, each at 15-minute intervals.  No bites today, but I am very encouraged by the way the spinners worked.  Can't wait for next season, God's willing.

2017 salmon season, yet?
Ready for action.


Tuesday, 11/22 - Fished for 1 hour and yak for an hour

Today, I met another fisherman with the same name as me (JOHN).  He said he only got 6 salmon for the season, but he had to pay for a guide to get one in the Smith River.  I believe he said he got 4 from the Feathers River and only one from the Sacramento River.  I will be seeing him more next season.

Monday, 11/21 - Fished for 4 hours with Calvin

No success.  Calvin took me to the "dock" about 1 mile downstream in a small town, named Walnut Grove.  At this location, the river narrows and during the peak salmon run, it is crowded with fishermen.  Today, it was just Calvin and I trying out a couple of casts....

This is the very first time that I fished at the "dock."


Friday, 11/18 - Test out 20 lures in 2.5 hrs.

My brother Fish Whisperer asked if I tried using other fishing rigs for salmon besides spinners.  After today, I can say, "Yes!"

I found a big Z-Ray, so I had to do it.  Also, I used a 1-1/2 oz. Kastmaster.  Out of the twenty lures tested, three did not spin well and needed some adjustments.

My heart jumped when near the end of my fishing trip, I got one grab while retrieving a 7/8 oz. Pink Flying C.  However, the fish did not stick :-(

Once again, got the whole river to myself.  To put into perspective of how blessed I am to be at the Sacramento River by myself, you have to note that the population of Sacramento County is around 1.4 million!!!

Yes!  There is a big Z-Ray in the mix!

These three didn't spin right.

No comments:

Post a Comment