Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Limited Out!!!

Fishing for salmon, I have never been limited out, ever!  Today is the first!!!

The plan was to fish for two hours:  The first hour use my "go-to" salmon spinner, the Flying C, and the second hour use a home made spinner given to me by my brother-in-law.  I swapped out the treble hook that came with the Flying C and replaced it with double split rings  and a bigger size 2/0 Eagle Claw treble hook.  I learned to use the double rings while fishing steelhead with PRO because the double rings enable the fish to turn 360 degrees without spitting out the hook.  It works!  For the homemade lure, I had to use a 3/4 oz. sliding sinker to cast the lure out.  Note that the reel used only cost $10.99 at Walmart, at least as of this writing.  I highly recommend it.  Check it out at this link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Angler-Spinning-Reel-30/30655482


"Go to" salmon spinner 7/8 oz. Flying C.
Outdoor Angler Spinning Reel $10.99!!!

I know the day was going to be good when I arrived at 7:30 AM and saw all my regular fishing brothers already there: brother Dave, brother Lucky One, and brother RainbowTroutMan.  I secured my fishing spot by placing my fishing poles by the location where I wanted to fish.  Then I went to say hello to RainbowTroutMan since this was the first time I had seen him this season.  I proceeded to fish with my GoPro attached to my head mount.  I was joined by Dan to my left.

I was seriously focusing on letting my lure go to the bottom before slowly reeling it back in.  This continued for only twenty minutes when I felt the bite.  I set the hook twice just to make sure :-)  After a short fight, I landed a smoker 32-inch, 14 pounds wild jack!

In da kisser is my favorite Flying C.
Before 8 AM: 32-inch, 14 pounds smoker.
Then at 8:30 AM, I switched over to the homemade lure.  I figured, if my brother-in-law is kind enough to make it for me, then I should try my best to catch a salmon with it.  Around 9:25 AM, I felt the lure stop, I set the hook:  "Oh, no!!!  The infamous crawdad traps."  I have already lost 4 lures this season to the crawdad traps, so I was expecting to loose the homemade lure.  I wrapped the fishing lines around my arm to break it.  But....  I was super blessed today.  Instead of breaking the line, the lure broke loose and came back to me in one piece.  So I started fishing again.  I was supposed to leave at 9:30 AM, so I had one more cast left....  Way out in the river....  I felt that familiar tug.  Set the hook baby!  A short fight later, I landed a silver 8-pound wild hen.  Unfortunately, my GoPro battery went dead and I was not able to capture the "fish on" for you.

Last cast of the day: 8-pound wild hen

First time limited out on salmon for JU:


Then, it was back home to be JU, the Ultimate Professor.  With awesome students, the teacher always look good!


I gave the 14-pound smoker to the Captain.  Guest what we had for dinner?  Yes, my awesome son cooked a part of the 8-pound salmon for dinner.

JU's ultimate salad.

Before.

After.

This is JU signing out....  God loves you!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, especially when you fish for salmon as much as I have. Last year I went two weeks straight without getting a bite.... All in God's time. I am super elated!

    ReplyDelete