Pages

Monday, October 10, 2016

Good Things Come in a Pair

I had two offers to go fishing on Saturday, 10/8/2016: jigging in the Sac. Riv. or pulling plugs in the American River.  I had already accepted the invite to go to the American River with the PRO.  That's what I'm talking about when I say, "Good things come in a Pair."

Sacramento River

The Patriarch, Captain and his brother-in-law came by my home to pick up the boat at 6:30 AM.  They were prompt!  They went jigging at the Minnow Hole in the Sacramento River.  Around 9:30 AM, I received a phone call from the Captain: "The jinx is over!  Dad finally, got a chrome while jigging!!!"

Young man with a BIG grin :-)

American River

I had an appointment to meet da PRO at the American River at 1 PM.  Needless to say, I was there by 12:30 PM to scout out the place.  The water conditions could not be any worse!  California DFW dropped the water to approximately 1,000 CFS, the water level was the lowest that I have seen at this particular section while fishing for salmon.  However, as I was checking out the river, a guy on a kayak paddled past me and told me that the water was actually higher than last year and that he saw lots of salmon!!!

PRO and I hit the water at around 1:30 PM, using our favorite tried and proven K14, sardine wrapped, Kwikfish.  First pass down the river and it was "Fish on!!!"  I was fumbling with the Go-Pro strapped to my chest, but I managed to hook the salmon!  It was a good fight!  But I got the upper hand.  Finally, near the boat was a fantastic silver bullet!  Then it happened!  The line went limped!  The fish got off.  How in the world did it shake loose a double treble hook???



Fortunately, we repeated the process using a fresh cut of sardine and a new silver/blue K-14 Kwikfish.  On our third trip down the river, there was another take down!  This time, we successfully boated the fish.  It was a 7.5 pounds hatchery jack.  Near the end of the day, Department of Fish & Wildlife employee came by, measured, and weighed the salmon for us.  She asked for the salmon's head because there was an implanted chip that would give the Department info on the salmon.  She promised to send me the info in about a week's time.



JU's first salmon of 2016.



7.5 pounds, jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment