Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

So Near, But Yet So Far...

It's been six years since I caught and released my first wild steelhead in the American River!  It is only a 20-minute drive from my home; but somehow, I am not there as often as I'd like.

Last Monday, 8/15, I had an opportunity to visit Master Kaster, who lives a few miles from the American River, much closer than I.  He decided to take me to a bass pond next to the American River and do some fishing.  Unfortunately, in our excitement, he brought everything except for lines in his reel :-)  Thus, we spent the day scouting around.

Turtles just chilling....

The bass pond

Master Kaster

According to ScienceBob.com, "After an owl eats the small rodents, birds, and bugs that are a part of its nightly diet, its stomach cannot digest the fur, bones, teeth, feathers, and insect shells from that food. These “extra” parts are formed into a tight PELLET inside the owl and are then are later SPIT UP by the owl."

According to Master Kaster, these are owl pellets.

A good place to bury your pet!?!?

Master Kaster identifying poison oak along the trail.

I got everything except my fishing lines, "Doh!"

More cool scenes....

Beautiful bass pond.

After looking at the bass pond, Master Kaster showed me his favorite fishing spots in the American River, where he caught stripers, steelhead, and salmon, in the past.

American River Fishing Hole #1.

American River Fishing Hole #2

Afterwards, we ate lunch at the Sunflower Drive-In, a local mom & pop restaurant established in 1978.  The restaurant is known for its "Nutty Tacos."
 
We ate lunch here.

I was running out of time, but since the Sportsman's Warehouse was along my way home, I had to visit :-)
 
Along the way home :-)

I'll be more prepared to fish next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment