Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tripleheader Weekend!

Sunday, 03 Nov 2013.

I was supposed to meet the Pro today at 10:30 am for another "Drifting Through the Fish Lane" in the American River.  I texted to let him know that I would be a little late.  Had to stop by and get some grubs at Mickey D's.  I arrived at 10:45 am.  The Pro got the two K-14 silver Kwikfish wrapped with a sardine fillet.  The Fish Seeker (Pro's drift boat) was docked but ready for action.  We hit the water around 11 am.  First up was my Salmon Slayer pole from last weekend and another new pole that I got yesterday.  The Salmon Slayer had on a K-14 silver Kwikfish and the other pole had on a K-14 silver/chartreuse Kwikfish.  Immediateley on the first row path, the Salmon Slayer bent way over.  I set the hook; gave the pole to Pro in hopes of getting some action on film.  I was not ready.  By the time I got my camera and figured out how to work it, it was time to net the fish.  It was a beautiful 14 pound hen!

First one boated at 11:30 am.
After calming our nerves, we put both K-14 silver Kwikfish back into action.  Back and forth, the Pro rowed the Fish Seeker.  This is because the flow in the American is slow and there is very little current.  The Pro and I discovered two years ago, that in a situation like this, "we make our own current!"  Around 1:30 pm, the Salmon Slayer went down again!  This time I was ready.  I gave the rod to the Pro and video taped the action.  At the same time, Department of Fish and Wildlife staff came by to witness the action.  As a matter of fact, they were the ones to tell me the weight of the salmons.  They also told Pro and I that we are the only ones they surveyed today that landed any salmons.  We are truly blessed!

15-pound hen boated around 1:30 pm.  Click here to see how it was done.
We were off the waters by 3 pm.  Once again, we were the only fishermen at this location.  Here are additional pictures of the day.

Look ma, no more cuts from a salmon's teeth.

No boat in sight.

Last one to the banks is a rotten egg.

Yep.  It's a keeper.

Any scraps for us?

Saturday, 02 Nov 2013.

Today, the Commando, the Wiz, and I got to our fishing spot at 6:45 am.  It was still dark because sunrise is not until 7:30 am.  I used the flash light to help the Commando set his rig.  The Wiz took the South side of the Carson River, while the Commando and I fished the North side.  The Wiz landed the first fish of the day.  The Commando and I followed suite.  Before we knew it, the time was around 10 am.  We called it quits.  We caught three limits, but kept just 9 total.  We let the little guys go.

The biggest catch of the day: 16 incher rainbow.

Fresh mountain trout!
We devoured these for breakfast.

Friday, 01 Nov 2013.

Got a call from an old friend
We are still real close
Said he couldn't go on working at the shop all day long
Closed the shop, gave me a call
Said, "Let's go to Tahoe."
Now he catches fish as the Commando

You know I'm game when I hear Tahoe.  So the Miracle Squad, Mrs. M., and I packed up and headed up the mountain.  We arrived around 10:30 am to find that the Wiz had secured our fishing spot along the Carson River.  The Wiz informed us that he landed 4 so far; however, he didn't anchor the stringer well, so three trout on the stringer took off with the stringer: Doh!!!

The Miracle Squad and I came down and fished on the North side of the Carson River.  We were catching some.  Since we didn't have any pink trout worms to use, we resorted to other imitation bait.  It was harder work than usual even through there were hundreds of fish swimming.  Then Miss Mystic yelled out:  "Look!  There are fish on that stringer!"  I chased after it, but the 3 fish were too quick for me.  However, I saw them dive down beneath a boulder.  Upon closer inspection, I saw the metal end part of the stringer protrude out by an inch, two feet under water, below the boulder.  I reached down and successfully retrieved the stringer with three trout on it!!!  Oh, yeah, baby.  Click here to see video.

Around noon, a fly fisherman showed up on the South side of the River.  For every one fish that we caught, the fly fisherman catches five!!!  We left around 1 pm with a total of nine keepers, but not before I walked to the other side of the river and asked permission to take a picture of the winning fly.

See any fish?
Just a couple of fish
Class of 1982
Winning fly: fish on every cast under an indicator.
Catch of the day.

Fresh mountain air brings a smile to our faces.
Home by the river



No comments:

Post a Comment