Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Eascape the Heat, Part II

Living in Sacramento, California, one knows I will have more than just one "Escape the Heat" story.  This is Part II for 2013.

Yesterday, it was triple digits temperature; hence, where could I go?  I opted for Mosquito Lake, around 8 or 9 thousands feet in elevation.  With the previous report from Fish Whisperer and the fact that California Department of Fish and Wildlife had been planting plenty of trout in the lake for the past few months made this location appealing for a revisit.  Number 1 was in Las Vegas; numbers 2 & 3 had movie plans; thus, JU, Mrs. Miracle, Monk, Master Fisherman, and MT took the trip.

We left town around 11 am.  Our first stop was at Micky Dees in Angels Camp for a quick potty break and to-go food.  Our destination would have no foods unless one could catch ones own food and bring something to cook it with.  I was in the van waiting for Mrs. M and the kids to come out.  All the windows in the van were opened because Angels Camp was not located at a high enough elevation for cooler temperature.  Shortly, a utility truck pulled up and parked beside the van on the passenger side.  I was busy adjusting my GPS holder that fell off the window because the heat dried up the moisture that was keeping the suction to the window.  A few minutes later, a man with a cap looked through the opened window on the passenger side and apologized to me about leaving his engine on while he went in to buy a drink.  He explained that the heat generated from his vehicle would caused me discomfort; however, it would have been worse had he turned the engine off and had to turned it back on causing more diesel fumes exhaust from the start up.  Outside the urban city environment, it appeared that people were more friendly.  Remember the couple that fixed my bumper for 60 bucks from "Escape the Heat, Part I"?

Back on the road again.  We proceeded up the windy State Highway 4.  I was tempted to stop by many fishing locations along the route, but did not.  All avid fisherman know how difficult it was to restraint oneself from the siren calls of the fish.  After all, this was an escape the heat trip, not a fishing trip :-(

Six miles from our destination, we did another potty break because this was the point of no return.  In other words, city dwellers should have their own portables :-)  It just happened that I marked all the previously visited public restrooms on my GPS.  These locations came in handy.  Conveniently, this potty break was next to Lake Alpine.  My will power would not have been enough to resist fishing at this lake.  However, yesterday, it appeared that everyone had the same idea about escaping the heat.  The parking lot was full and people used any empty spaces along Highway 4 that could accommodate their vehicles as parking stalls.  I saw people hiking, fishing, swimming, and boating.  That was the most people I had ever seen at Lake Alpine, or for that matter, anywhere along my my mountain fishing holes.

"Are we there yet, dad?"  Fortunately, I was able to answer, "...very soon."

Mosquito Lake was just another 6 miles farther.  Actually, I should say Mosquito Lakes because there were Upper Mosquito Lake and Lower Mosquito Lake.  These two lakes were separated by a small concrete dam.  One could walk from one lake to the other with ease.  Just as I remembered, the parking spaces were plentiful.  Temperatures were in the low 70s.
Waterfall separates the two lakes - Compliments of the Fish Whisperer
As soon as the van was parked, the kids immediately walked across the Highway to get to the Lake.  Traffic up in the mountain was sparse.  One could hear approaching vehicles before actually seeing them.  The kids occupied themselves with wading, shooting sling shots, catching and releasing baby trout.  Mrs. Miracle read while I fished.  The fish were jumping all over.  Fishing from 3 pm to 5 pm with one functioning pole using Orange Power Ball, I landed 3 trout; I lost 3 near shore.  (Note to self: dull hook needs sharpened.)  Had it been early morning or a couple of hours later, I would bust out the Kastmaster and had limits within fifteen minutes top!
Mosquito Lake, Lower
"This is fun."

Mrs. Miracle

Do you see anything moving?

"There, get it boys!"

Fresh mountain trout.

I came home by way of Markelville and the Mormon Immigrant Trail Rd.  The trip was long and arduous driving wise, but the view was breath taking.  And can't get enough....  To top it all off, on the drive home, MT said: "Daddy, I had fun today."  The boys chimed in with their agreement.

I am blessed.  God loves us all.

The Origin of Mrs. Miracle

While opening the envelope containing her California Lifetime Fishing License, she was accidentally cut by the paper containing radioactive toxic substance bonding the envelope together.  She felt light headed and woozy, but miraculously she did not pass out.  Instead, when the initial shock to her system was over, she gained super powers of being able to miraculously predict when and where JU and the Miracle Kids will be fishing and their ETA for home.  Darn, how did she know that?   While fishing, she was known to bark: "Fish on! Everybody, out of my way.  Nobody touches my fishing pole!"
Walker River 2010

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome story and pictures. Almost fell out of my chair looking at Gigi with that stringer!! Wow, I can never call her Gigi anymore she is Mrs. Miracle for sure!

    ReplyDelete